Wednesday, May 21, 2008

a fascinating story

I rotated the glasses today. When we had a dishwasher, it would take up to 2 weeks for it to become full enough to actually run the thing. But now that we don't have a dishwasher, dishes in the sink for longer than a day drive me nutty. It's not hard to keep up on with only 2 of us. So today as I was washing the few glasses we had used, I became bothered that we continually use the same 2 or 3 glasses and the ones in the back of the cupboard never get used. Terrified to one day find they've collected dust, I rotated the glasses. Like I said, fascinating.

Which reminds me of a random tidbit from San Francisco: we went to church there and found ourselves in the dental student ward. Pretty much all couples our age with toddlers crawling all over the benches. We had several surprise visits from underneath the bench from these adventurous tots. Anywho- a very nice young couple gave us a ride home when they saw us staring at our city map trying to find the nearest public transit line. Here's the point- they were telling us how much they pay in rent to live in the heart of San Francisco. Old school, 70's style, one-bedroom apartment with no laundry and NO dishwasher (instant bond obviously), and guess how much they pay? $1950/month. And no, that doesn't include the $300/month they pay for their ONE parking space. I was astounded. I'll never complain about rent again. (unless I've since forgotten about this story, then naturally I would complain...)

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, I'm not too far behind for what I pay for a single room in NYC- sharing an apartment with 3 other girls. It makes me sick just thinking about it.

    Nice to see you post again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shoot! That is high rent.

    As for the dishes. I hate doing dishes. Why can't they magically clean themselves. It is a never ending chore.....as soon as one is clean, you need another. I also HATE PUTTING MY HANDS IN DIRTY WATER. All dishes have to be rinsed before putting them in soapy water for me. Call me crazy, but I just don't like the floating chunks in the water.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dishes are my nemesis. I hate them. They sit in the sink for days sometimes...just looking at me with their crusty nastiness. And I haven't rotated a glass before. Maybe because when I first got married we only had a few, not a full set.

    That's California for you. My sister-in-law still owns a condo there. It is 1000 square feet and it cost them $500k. They can't sell it because of the slump in the market, and they can't possibly ask their renters to pay the full mortgage amount, otherwise no one would rent from them. So, she gets to pay an extra 2 grand a month just to cover the mortgage. Oh, and she now lives in Texas. It's crazy and down right wrong that people have to pay that much to live in California. What's the world coming to?

    ReplyDelete