Thursday, June 11, 2009

the shelf life of mustard


Dear Friends,

We have a fascinating topic to discuss. As you may well know, mustard has a lengthy shelf life. Seriously, what is it? YEARS. Really. I don't think I've ever seen it go bad. Do you ever find yourself sniffing the mustard before you use it... "Honey, smell this - is it still good?" No. You don't. And so today, as I squeezed out the last unwilling splatters of mustard upon my delicious soon-to-be sandwich, I was amazed to discover that my mustard is best by JUN 11 09..... that's TODAY! What are the odds that I would use all of my mustard (which has traveled with me to two homes now - what a dear friend) on the very day that it is "best used by?" That's what I call amazing amazingness.

Yours truly,
Amazing Natalie

3 comments:

  1. This is amazing, Nat. I gasped. What are the chances?

    And what are the chances that you'd actually take the time to look? I don't know that I've ever checked the expiration date of my mustard, probably in part because I love mustard so much that it never reaches that darn expiration date. But that's neither here nor there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't say I've ever checked the expiration on mustard. You know it's bad when the brand of your mustard (or anything else, for that matter) is from a grocery store in another state...that you moved away from 5 YEARS AGO. I should probably pay better attention...
    I haven't checked your blog in a little while - that's awesome that Rhett got a new job! How is it going? Are you still looking?
    Amen on the caramel apples from Rocky Mountain. I crave those things more often than I care to admit.
    Love you, Nat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Splendid! Your post about the mustard literally changed the way I live my life. I'm checking the "Best used by" dates on everything now. In fact, I found this post so informative, I chose to share with my co-workers who found it equally enlightening.

    Honestly, I burst out laughing and grinning thus requiring an explanation to my co-workers. LOVED IT!

    But your post really did effect me, I realized how much I have been missing out on! I've missed out on you! Thanks for the wake up call. Though I hate to admit it, I did turn my back on the blogging world and am deeply sorry!

    ReplyDelete