Wednesday, August 1, 2007

and yet I survived

I was just attacked by a large jumping insect. It looked like a combination between a cockroach and a cricket. It must have been a loco Vegas hybrid. It had huge antennae, about 2 inches long. I realize that I should have snapped a picture so that this new species could be identified by bug scientists, but in the heat of battle there is little time for a photo shoot. The sneaky little devil was hiding in the folds of the hand towel in the bathroom, and when I went to dry my hands, that's when he sprang toward me. Clearly an experienced assassin, he went straight for the throat. But little did he know that I also had a weapon - my high-pitched shrieking and flailing of limbs frightened him into retreat. Like a true coward, he tried to hide, but he could not escape the trap of the tupperware that awaited him. I captured this intruder and sent him to a watery grave down the toilet. Experience has taught me that sometimes the vilest of creepy insects have an advantage over the surface tension of the water, so I saw to it that he was covered by a blanket of toilet paper to crush that advantage. Genious, I know! My only regret is that he did not live to tell his friends about the certain destruction that awaits if they ever try a stunt like that again.

7 comments:

  1. Natalie, I'm so glad that you're still here with us. But, you really should have saved the specimen for identification. You could've been renown in world of entomology. It could been named "Dictyoptera buttarus" if it is in the class of Insecta, and under the same order as cockroaches and mantids. Next time, you'll know.
    Thanks for the birthday present. I'm absolutely delighted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness, to escape the loco Vegas Hybrid is quite the accomplishment. I hope you treated yourself to nice big bowl of ice cream or a bubble bath. (I would have).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Natalie, you have such a gift for imagery! It was as though I was there as you saw your life flash before your eyes in front of the insect of death! Thank goodness you TRIUMPHED! Just like all those times you hunted spiders in our basement. And furthermore, to other loco Vegas insects, "Come and meet your maker!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know...I get a lot of grief from a lot of people regarding the frequency of my blogs...hence I pass the grief onto you! The bug is dead, get on with your life and write something new!!! Love you and thanks again for the wakeboarding pics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too am getting sick of "survived". LETS GET SOMETHING NEW! Jsut kidding, I heart your face off!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know you're online right now! You better be making a post!

    ReplyDelete