Monday, December 14, 2009

worlds apart, literally

My dear parents, bless their souls, gave the fam an early Christmas present/graduation present/Josh-is-leaving-soon-on-his-mission present. They timed it perfectly - the whole family was scheduled to depart for a sunny foreign destination 5am Saturday Dec. 12th - the very next day after Rhett and I graduated. What a treat! Rhett and I so needed the getaway after both taking hefty credit loads of 18 and 20 credits, and Rhett still working full time and then some. We were counting down the days, looking forward to some much needed relaxation after a grueling final semester of college. That is, until Rhett's request for time off came back. DENIED. With an added comment, "Shocked you would even ask." Rhett has not been at Zions long enough to accrue any paid time off. But he wasn't asking for paid time off. He was asking for UNpaid time off. Aka saving the company money! An unpaid furlough - exactly what some state companies asked their employees to do as a solution to their budget crisis. {sigh} None of this logic worked on Rhett's grinch of a boss. He's a mean one, Mr. Grinch. He is foul beyond compare.
As the months and weeks got closer to vacation time, we hoped and wished his boss' heart would soften just a tad and he might reconsider. But no. NO GO. Let us not overlook the fact that the trip was pre-paid and since my mom prides herself in finding deals online, nonrefundable, nontransferable. Of course.
So here I sit on the white sandy beaches of Playa Del Carmen, doing absolutely nothing but read the books I've been saving for after graduation, and all the while, Rhett is at home shoveling the foot of snow off the driveway. And in his spare time, he and his friends in Huntsville decided to build this:

They decided to go ahead and build a life-size, no messing around, igloo. Of course they did. I'm not even surprised. He sent me this proud photo from his phone. I love that Rhett. He's so blasted cute I can't even stand it. I love that he is just a little boy at heart, and he always will be. It's one of the things I love about him.

But let's be honest, I would much rather he build me a sand castle here in Mexico than a blasted igloo.

5 comments:

  1. Whoa. WHOA! That story was so cute but such a downer at the same time. I hate that you're not with your husband on some exotic vacation but you're right, that igloo is totally badass!
    We're getting together as soon as you get home and as soon as I get over this blasted pneumonia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so sad for Rhett working for Scrooge. I love that he is good at making the most of the situation...That is one serious igloo! I hope you had a good time lounging in the sun though. I will be seeing you again soon! Horray :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boo on The Grinch :( I'm so sorry that Rhett can't be there with you.

    But on the sunny side of things ... what a freaking awesome igloo! That takes some serious dedication. Not to mention talent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let me first remind you of how much I adore your blog! I am happy that you get some Mexico time, but it sucks that your love couldn't come with you. Enjoy the heat, it is chilly back in Utah. Love you and I hope i see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. First of, Congrats for Graduation, you two! Second, so jealous that you are ANYWHERE with temps about 40. Third, Rhett is a stud. I heard they got a couple of feet up there in Odgen Valley, so glad to see he knew what to do with it.

    Love you, love your blog. Miss you.

    ReplyDelete