Tuesday, November 16, 2010

unexpected progress

FIRST, some pictures I've been meaning to post.

We decided to have a little spontaneous photo shoot after church last Sunday with the big Buddha belly. This was the day of the daylight savings change, and I did not account for how quickly we would lose the light. I wanted to try to capture some of the gorgeous dusk shots that we have in Mountain Green, but no dice. So forgive the lighting and forgive the sometimes blurry shots. I present to you the best we've got. :)
(Belly @ 35.5 weeks)







Oh - below, I stumbled upon this gem in one of the folders on my flash drive. One might think this is was our Halloween costume from this year - current belly photo - but no. This is was in 2006 - before we were married - at the annual White Trash ChrismAss Bash at Windsor's cabin (legendary). All guests are encouraged to come in their finest White Trash attire. Hence, Britney Spears and Kevin Federline. I thought of repeating the costume this year with the REAL belly, rather than the one below which is made of a couple of towels. But frankly, I lost the motivation. ;)

Ah, memories.

AND NOW, let's move on to the unexpected progress, shall we?
We had a doctor's appointment yesterday, at 36 weeks, 4 days. I've been feeling great, no real pain or discomfort. And I've had a total of 4 contractions this entire pregnancy, which all happened last week. But nothing regular or sustained, and none for a few days now. My due date is Dec. 9, and I have fully anticipated lasting until then. So you can imagine my surprise when the doctor told me I was dilated to a FOUR, when we still have 3 1/2 weeks to go. Four seems like a lot to me! That's like almost halfway to baby time! Still feeling good, though. So for now we'll wait and see what happens.
Dr. Naisbitt said that when something does start to happen, though, get to the hospital quick, because he doesn't think my labor will be very long. When he was 'checking' me - a first, I might add, and not my favorite - he said "Now this isn't your first baby, right?" Yes, yes it is. "Oh wow. Well you've got a cervix to be jealous of." Thanks, doc. I've never received such a compliment. ;)
And Birtha, wow, my little angel is one heck of a chunker! 1 month ago (at 7 months pregnant) she was measuring about 5lbs, 6 oz. Two weeks ago, she measured about 6lbs, 5 oz. So a solid pound gain in just 2 weeks. And now, 2 weeks later, the doctor measured her again to get an estimated size. He took the measurements once, and then said he needed to do it again more accurately, because he didn't believe the size he was getting. Guess what the MORE accurate measurement was... SEVEN pounds, FIFTEEN ounces! She gained another pound and a half in 2 weeks. So our little girl is just a sliver shy of 8 lbs, with 3 1/2 weeks left to cook. You could see her cute little baby fat rolls on the ultrasound! Can not wait to meet my little chunky monkey.
Given this unexpected news, I'm very curious as to what all of you think about it!
I'm taking guesses
on her
BIRTH DATE & BIRTH WEIGHT!
Please enter your guesses in the comments, and the closest guess will get a rediculously cool prize.


8 comments:

  1. birth date: October 20
    size: 9lbs
    mom: as hot as ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited for you!
    I was hoping for Dec.1 (Dave's birthday) but after hearing the latest news, I'm gonna say November 21 and I bet she's 8lbs. 5oz. at the most. I generally think they overestimate at the ultrasounds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I hope you do have an easy short labor :). I will say November 25 and 8 lbs 2 oz. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that is a cervix to be jealous for, seeing I never dialate past a 1 on my own. Let's go with 11/27 and 8 pounds even. Happy laboring to you! Bring on the epidural...can't wait to hear the news.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will admit...I have been blog stalking you and it is time for me to out myself :) I am so excited for you! Having just recently delivered a 9 1/2 pound baby I feel for you- trust me! My guess will be November 23rd...9 lbs 2 oz :) good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanksgiving day...8lbs 7oz. I am so excited for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  7. um WHOA! Clearly my feeling all week that I need to call you was not to be ignored.... so, I'm calling your as soon as I'm done typing this.

    My official guess though, is November 26th, and since I know Jed to over estimate by a pound, I am going to say 7 lbs. 8 oz.

    I love you, and can't wait to meet Bertha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. AND THE WINNERS ARE....

    - Annie Richins Ostler for guessing the date right on - Nov. 23rd!

    - Lydia Metcalf for guessing the weight within 2 ounces - baby was 7lbs 10oz.

    CONGRATU-FREAKIN-LATIONS TO THE BOTH OF YOU! your super cool incredible prize will be a glossy 8x10 of me blowing you a kiss, signed in a silver sharpie, with the 'i' in Natalie dotted with a heart. Please send me a self-addressed stamped envelope and allow 60-80 weeks for processing.

    ReplyDelete