Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Good things



Sometimes this life blesses us with good things. And sometimes unpleasant things are good things in disguise.

We found renters for our house! It was a perfect match. They needed to move in quickly and we needed to find renters quickly. They signed the rental contract on Sunday night. The next day they informed us that now they can't move in until October, and they need some flexibility in coming up with the deposit, and they can only write a post-dated check for now, and so on... unpleasant details, and we will probably end up paying for all of September, but then we're done. This is still a good thing.

Rhett starts a new job at America West Bank in Layton tomorrow. It is not exactly the job he applied for, and it's even further from the job he wanted, but he is excited about it and sees it as a personal challenge to see how quickly he can advance to the job he is aiming for. So this is a very good thing.

Rhett was commission-only at his job in Las Vegas. When times are good, it's a good thing. When times are bad, it's a bad thing. But even during the rough times, he still did relatively well, at least compared to any income I personally have ever made. At this new job Rhett is starting at the bank, his annual income will be about what he used to make in one or two months. But this position is the starting point to grow into the position he truly wants. It is up to him to prove how quickly he is capable of earning that position. The long-term opportunity is huge, but the short-term income is small. I think times will be hard for a while. Humility is a good thing.

As you probably know (since I complained about it regularly), I was unemployed for my season spent in Las Vegas. I probably applied for more than 50 jobs at the 7 local hospitals in the Las Vegas valley. I was admittedly cocky - I thought I was a shoe-in. I had the skills and the experience for the jobs I was applying for. But my efforts never produced any results. So I re-did my resume, re-did my cover letter, re-applied for all the jobs, and nothing. And now, just 5 minutes ago, I got a phonecall from Centennial Hills Hospital, my #1 pick of hospitals that I applied at, the brand new hospital less than 5 miles from our Las Vegas home, and they offered me a job... Four months after I applied for it, on the very day Rhett accepted a job in Utah. I laughed out loud when I got that phone call; the irony is just priceless. At least I see that God has a sense of humor, and that is a good thing.

6 comments:

  1. Oh...my...gosh! What a turn of events! Who'd a thunk that would happen. Mind boggling isn't it? I too am forever grateful that Heavenly Father has a sense of humor. It make life so much more amusing, even if it is at our own expense!

    Nat, I just love you! and though it may be selfish of me, I'm still very happy that you are back in Utah! That was a fantastic blog...I'm going to agree with Emily again, that you are a superb writer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that you told me all of this earlier today, but I just wanted to say again that everything happens for a reason--if you're doing your part in the plan that is. (Which I know you are.) You must have had that call sometime after I talked to you. WOW. That's all I have to say, wow.
    I too am thrilled to have you back. Can we please start dating? That's what Mike and I call it. You see, you "date around" for other couples that you like spending time with, sometimes you only go out with another couple once, and other times things get serious. I have a feeling that we might get serious in a hurry! And Clay and Em, of course. (We haven't been out for way to long, Emily!) And Shanna and boy...

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I can say is, "I am excited to have you back".

    I am sorry it took the hospital 4 months to call you back! They have been missing out!!!!

    As for the blessings in disguise, sometimes they are the best--but the hard part is getting through enough of the trials to get to where you know that it was a blessing.

    I agree with Lydia--dating is a must. I too need some more "friend" dates. Let's just say my house Monday night for the BBQ? I don't have tons of room, but why not snuggle and get to know one another :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Nat. Crazy. Life is weird, and it only gets weird-er. (And more wonderful, too.) Utah is kind of a tough place in the world of business, because it is sort of a "microcosm" of highly qualified, underpaid people. It has been quite and adjustment moving from Texas where wages are very high and cost of living is very low. Flip that, and you've got Utah. I know the draw to be "home" however. (That's why we moved back after 10 long years). Good luck, and welcome back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. NEWSFLASH:

    I just got yet another phonecall offering a position with Dr. Taylor, an orthopedic surgeon in Las Vegas. I would have loved to work in a surgeon's office! I have always been fascinated by surgery.

    Truly, this is hilarious. Back to back, two days in a row, on the week we officially came back to Utah.

    I think it's just Satan teasing me. But he can forget it because Rhett and I already know it was the right decision to come back to Utah now. Much effort went into our decision.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Nat. You've really got it together. It's hard taking a step back and assessing what's going to be good for you and your family in the long run. It's so tempting to grasp at those things that are right up in front of your face. You and Rhett are good and strong. I'm proud of you. And I'm extremely happy to have you close by again. Selfish, I know. I just ADORE you!!

    ReplyDelete