Thursday, December 6, 2007

Look it up first, people

One of the more entertaining aspects of working in the maternity ward is hearing all the new baby names that parents come up with. Today I came across one that just blew me away, and it was all I could do to keep my composure and appear supportive. This was not the name of the newborn baby girl born to mom and dad a day ago, but the name of the adorably outgoing big sister who was frolicking all around striking up conversations with adults, at only 5 years old. She had light brown hair parted in the middle with 2 long braids, each with a sparkly pink fuzzy hair bobble at the top, which of course matched her shiny pink coat, pink pants, and pink shoes. Just cute as a button. After she told me how old she is, I asked her her name.

"Purgatory."

I repeated it aloud in disbelief and sent a questioning gaze to the mom hoping she would correct her silly daughter and set the record straight. But she just smiled with a great deal of pride and nodded her head, repeating the sweet name. Purgatory.

7 comments:

  1. I did look it up:

    (in the belief of Roman Catholics and others) a condition or place in which the souls of those dying penitent are purified from venial sins, or undergo the temporal punishment that, after the guilt of mortal sin has been remitted, still remains to be endured by the sinner.

    Were they red-necks? I must say, there have been names I have disagreed with in the past...but this one tops it. Maybe they thought it would grow on them????? Who knows!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just gave me the name of my soon to be coming child. I can't wait...the guessing game of a name is over. Thanks for sharing. Omigoodness...Purgatory? You have got to be kidding me. What were they thinking???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, they must not have known what that word meant. But did no one tell them? You cannot only blame the parents but those close to them who didn't bother to tell them what they were doing to this poor little girl. I'm sure she will get teased later on in life...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor girl! I swear, some parents must want their kids to be beat up later in life.

    The best names I heard in the hospital were for twins...

    "Lemonjello" and "Orangejello".
    (Pronounced lamon-jello and oron-jello)

    No kidding. I love jell-o, but not as a name.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lemonjello and orangejello? Talk about child cruelty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Someone was drunk or lost a bet or something.

    At least when she's old enough to be ashamed of her name she can go by "Tory"

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the Garth Brooks pics! What a lucky gal to have gone to that concert! I love your blog...its so fun to see what you are up to ( although Breklyn does give me the occasional family update). I'm adding you to my favorites and I would love to get together to catch up!
    Holly

    ReplyDelete