Monday, February 25, 2008

30-day notice

It's official. We're moving. Our landlord just announced that they're selling the house, hence our 30-day notice.

Where? That's a good question. That's where you - my dear friends - come in. After craig's list disappointed, I spent the weekend driving up and down the streets of Layton and Kaysville keeping a keen eye out for "For Rent" signs... but so far no luck. So anyone know of anyone looking to move out of their really awesome apartment in the next month? Do you have a distant relative who'd love to rent out their basement to a very tidy newlywed couple? We're not incredibly picky this time around... our goal is to be able to save a good percentage of our income every month so that we can save up faster for a down payment on a house. Now, I'm aware that the quality of dwelling decreases rapidly as the rent decreases, but I'm hoping for a miracle! We'd love to stay in the $500 - $700 range (or less, obviously), and I'd like to feel safe there even when I'm home alone. I know it's a tall order, but I feel like it could happen.

For example, Craig's list had a cute little house for rent in "Historic Downtown Ogden" for $390/month. Right on Washington Blvd. I couldn't bring myself to call on it. Affordable, sure. But I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable taking the trash out by myself late at night, so that kills the deal.

Cheap and safe. Is that so much to ask?
Any help would be much appreciated!

10 comments:

  1. I've seen a couple of "for rent" signs out here in roy...too far? If you want I will keep track/call on them for you. Let me know, and best of luck in the hunt. Did you try KSL Classifieds?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you looked at the cheap apartments BriAnn (your cousin) & Lindsay (Skidmore-Hickman) used to live in? They are really cheap--I think only a one bedroom though up off of Cherry Lane. I think it is on Oakridge just before you get to Cherry Lane.

    I will keep my eyes peeled.

    Otherwise--please stay away from any houses for Rent on 1000 W in Syracuse :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lyd- nothing's too far if the price is right! I would love it if you'd call or just give me the numbers. And somehow I forgot about KSL. I check that right this second.

    And Em- Yes, I actually DID call on those apts BriAnne used to live in. They had a for rent sign out. I got "Oh, sorry. I forgot to take the rent sign down." So a no go.

    THANKS GUYS! THIS IS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT. I need your eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are a couple of cute homes up here for rent in Mountain Green, but unfortunately they want $1K or more rent. They know they can stick it to us poor idiots building homes up here. If I see anything for less, I will let you know. The commute is only 5 minutes down the canyon and the people up here are fantastic. I have never been so accepted and happy with my neighbors/ward/etc.
    Crossing my fingers and keeping my eyes peeled!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Natalie,

    My sister will be moving out of a rental home in Layton (Flint Street) within 30 days. They are renting it for $1k currently...it's a nice house, probably bigger than you need though. Just wanted to let you know if you may be interested.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Kim! We're currently paying $1000, and we want to cut that in half if possible. So we'll see. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Check out the apartments on Main Street across from Dairy Queen. I believe there are a couple of different ones, and I think they are less than $1K. My parents are living there and they are surprisingly roomy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nat--I left you a message but there are two for rent signs on Hillfield Rd north of the bank on the west side. Some look like townhomes with a garage out front (the blue ones) and the others are just north a bit. Don't know how much & haven't seen the inside....but I saw the FOR RENT.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will definitely keep my eye open for you. Good luck with the hunt! I love the pic of you and Rhett-where were you guys? When am I going to see you?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Natalie--it's Allison McKinstry Barben, and I found your blog through Jenny. It's so good to see how you are doing through your blog---you and your hubby are so cute together! Jake and I rented a basement apartment in Fruit Heights, and there were alot of people who rented out their basements in that neighborhood, so you may want to check it out to see if there are any signs out--we lived in the neighborhood east of Hwy 89Also if you know anyone that works at the Church Office Building in Salt Lake, they have a bulletin board down there that lists apartments for rent and they are usually good rentals that range all the way from northern Davis County all the way to Utah County, that is how we initially found our Fruit Heights apartment. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete