Sunday, April 13, 2008

call me a grump

Every so often I have to work a Sunday, which I really don't prefer. But apparently the babies here at the hospital are pretty excited to get out into the real world, and they just can't be reasoned with. I'd much rather they all wait to be born until Monday, but again - unreasonable. So when I have to work a Sunday here and there, I understand. But this morning I woke up with a seriously bad attitude, I did NOT want to go to work. I procrastinated getting out of bed as long as I could, rationalizing that the traffic would be a breeze at 6am on a Sunday morning. That only bought me a few minutes before I had to give in to the inevitable.

On to the highlight of the day. Around 11:30am, one of my coworkers beckoned me into one of the empty patient rooms. Waiting inside was a handful of fellow employees, and a cute young married couple there to give us a spiritual thought and the sacrament. I was so incredibly grateful for this gesture of thoughtfulness, that they would care enough to bring the sacrament around to all the hospital employees who wanted it. I suddenly felt so selfish and embarassed by myself and I felt my bad attitude melting away. And in this new and different setting, as this young man in a suit kneeled on the hospital floor to say the prayer, I listened in a different way and was so touched by the meaning of the words. I try to pay attention to them every time but to be honest, I'm frequently distracted. This time it meant so much more to me and I found myself getting really emotional. I quickly composed myself since I was still at work, but left feeling so much gratitude. So thanks to that nameless young couple whoever you are. You made my day.

6 comments:

  1. I must say, I can't imagine you in a truely bad mood.

    I really enjoyed this post. I dread fast & testimoney meetings most days.......and to hear your story topped all that I heard earlier today in church. It is the simple things in life that bring the spirit that I like to hear about.....Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Durb! I loved that post. We never know how we are going to touch other people's lives with what we do. I'm glad that you had that experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW--did you ever look back through your pictures?????? And your verdict?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad you had that experience to turn your day around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey you! That's a sweet story- I bet that couple had no idea the difference they made. I'm glad you were able to have such an incredible spiritual experience!

    oh P.S. thanks for helping my mom out... she really appreciated it. I hate that I'm not there to help her so thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete