Friday, June 25, 2010

You probably could have told me so.


Frankly, you probably should have told me so. But here's the thing: It's my first time. I don't know any better. When the doctor tells me at ELEVEN weeks that he's absolutely sure (aka 80%) it's a boy, why would I question that?

But I know all of you questioned it. Every single one of you with any children or any experience in the whole baby-makin' business probably rolled your eyes when I announced the proud gender of my baby at 11 weeks. But you were all way too nice to say anything. Didn't want to steal my thunder, rain on my parade, whatever. So you smiled and gave your congratulations and well-wishes. But inside I know you wanted to pull me aside and tell me it's really too early to tell, sweetie, so... better not count on it. And then naturally, I would have thought you were some bitter bean who clearly had to wait much longer to find out. ;) So really, I shouldn't be surprised that here we are at 16 weeks with a fetus that has amazingly morphed genders.

That's right kids. As of yesterday, it's now a girl! And the doc's just as sure this time as he was the last time. So I don't know what to make of all of it. Literally the night before the ultrasound, I was deciding on paint colors for the nursery with my mom and sister. Good thing we didn't paint! I guess for now, I think we'll just wait for another ultrasound or two to confirm or deny before I go out and buy anything.
I'm way excited to have a girl! Just like I was so excited to have a boy! Truthfully, I'm just hoping to have a healthy human. That would be great. And Rhett was so excited when I told him we might be having a girl now. I was worried he might be disappointed since he's been planning on a boy for last 5 weeks. But he was such a champ! He got all thoughtful and asked if I thought she'd look like me or look like him. But he decided it didn't matter, because either way she'll be beautiful. How sweet is that?

7 comments:

  1. I am glad you found out before you started painting! Now when I see cute pink items on sale I can call ya :). Girls Girls Girls!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Thats funny. Either way, it's great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right Natalie, no one wanted rain on your parade. The good news is that with first babies it doesn't matter whether it's a girl or boy because it's your first girl or boy. And Rhett is completely right. . .either way that baby is going to be one beautiful person! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That post was beyond hilarious! And you are totally right about those of us who've had kids questioning your doctors ability to be certain of the gender that early on. I'm just so dang excited that you're having a baby! Pick a name for a boy and a girl and hope that you only need to use one of them. Are they sure there are not 2 babies in there? Ask your mom about that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this and I love you. I too should have warned you that all baby parts look "boy" so early and no way can they really tell until 15 weeks or LATER!! So yes, please wait for another ultrasound or 2 before painting or buying too many baby clothes or just stay neutral. Either way is exciting though! 10 fingers and 10 toes is all you can hope for in the ultrasound...and yes, it will be a beautiful BABE!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a bit behind on things, but I guess that's what happens when you leave the country. Anyway, Congrats! I'm way excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Lady!!! Have fun with all your prego-ness! She/He is going to be so beautiful/handsome!!! I miss you guys!!

    ReplyDelete